Swim - 1/4 mile - Ocean Swim
- Beach Start. Ocean swim parallel to shore.
- Expected water temperature around 70 degrees. Wetsuits allowed and optional if water temperature is 78 degrees or less taken on race morning. Come prepared with a wetsuit just in case.
- Swim Cut Off Rule. All participants are expected to be able to complete the swim discipline maintaining a steady consistent stroke and able to maintain on course. Lifeguards are provided for emergency situations and to prevent swimmers from drowning. Any swimmer who is in constant need of aid from lifeguards along the swim is considered to be a hazard to themselves and other swimmers and has not prepared properly for the race (this includes breaks, and redirection on course). If a lifeguard at any point feels an athlete is taking too much attention, the lifeguard reserves the right to remove the athlete from the race. This removal will result in a DNF (Did Not Finish) from the entire race (the athlete will not be allowed to compete in the bike or run) at which point athlete must hand in their timing chip to lifeguard or designated staff person.
Run - 1.5 miles - first leg for duathlon - out and back course.
- Starts near transition area
- Paved macadam towards Scenie Overlook and back
- Stay to the left of each other
- Run into Transition Area
Bike - 10 miles - Flat and Fast - new course for 2013. Subject to change.
- Road course through and around the streets of Lewes and Cape Henlopen State Park.
- Exit Transition area and head towards exit of state park onto Cape Henlopen Drive (RD 9) and go past the Ferry on the right hand side.
- Go for about 1 mile and at "T", turn left onto Savannah Road (RD 18).
- Go over grated draw bridge and take immediate left onto Gills Neck Road.
- Follow Gills Neck Road until you reach traffic light at Kings Highway (Cape Henlopen H.S. is directly across this highway).
- Turn right onto Kings Highway (RD 268)
- Go over big bridge over Lewes-Rehoboth Canal.
- Right onto Cape Henlopen Drive (RD 19)
- At park entrance, you will follow regular traffic pattern as follows:
- Go to left side of the entrance booth.
- Left after entrance booth.
- Left again towards the Ocean.
- Right back onto main drive towards Ocean and into transition area.
Run - 5K - final and third leg for both triathlon and duathlon
- Paved macadam
- One loop around state park - all macadam except for finish on grass
Cape Henlopen State Park is located in Lewes, DE about 1 mile south from the Cape May/Lewes Ferry Terminal. Directions adopted from the www.capemaylewesferry.com site. Once you approach the Lewes Ferry Terminal, continue on Route 9 East/South (Cape Henlopen Drive) past the Ferry terminal for about 1/2 mile into the entrance of Cape Henlopen State Park. Then follow signs to the Ocean bath house.
- Rehoboth Outlets and Rehoboth Beach, DE, take Route 1 North past Rehoboth Outlets to Route 9 East
- Ocean City, MD, take Route 1 North to Route 9 East
- Chincoteague, VA, take 175 West to Route 13 North, which merges with Route 113 North, to Route 24 away from Millsboro, Delaware, to Route 1 North to Route 9 East
- Easton, MD, take Route 331 South from Easton to Route 318 East; Routes 331 and 318 will intersect, follow 318 East to Route 18 East; in Georgetown, Delaware, take Route 9 East
- Baltimore, MD, take Route 97 South to Route 50 East over the William Preston Lake Jr. Memorial Bridge to Route 404 East to Georgetown, Delaware, to Route 9 East
- Washington, DC, take Route 495 North/South around city to Route 50 East, then follow Baltimore directions
- Williamsburg, VA, take Route 64 East to Route 13 North and the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel (toll) to Route 113 North (after merge of Routes 113 and 13) to Route 24 East to Route 1 North to Route 9 East
- Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA, follow Williamsburg directions from Route 13 North
- Outer Banks, NC, from Corolla Lighthouse take Route 12 South, or from Cape Hatteras take Route 12 North, to Route 158 West to Route 168 North to Route 64 East to Route 13 North over and under the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel (toll) then follow Williamsburg directions
- Philadelphia, PA, Interstate 95 South to exit #4 for Rt. 1 South to Delaware Beaches. Near Milford, DE, Rt. 1 also becomes 113 South and merges again onto Rt. 1 South near Lewes. Take Route 9 East
2012 Results at piranha-sports.com: Triathlon / Duathlon
• • •
Powered By Subgurim(http://googlemaps.subgurim.net).Google Maps